Lisa’s Gluten-Free Congo Bars
2/3 cup butter
2 1/4 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/3 cups regular or gluten-free all-purpose flour*
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
*Lisa uses Better Batter gluten-free flour and weigh, rather than measure, her flour. If you prefer to weigh your flour, use 325 grams of flour for this recipe.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×13” metal baking pan.
2. Add the butter to a medium saucepan and melt over medium-low heat. Stir in the brown sugar and vanilla; remove from heat.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Beat the eggs, one at a time, into the butter mixture. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour, in batches. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the dough is lightly browned; a toothpick inserted into the center should come out with a few crumbs, but not gooey.
7. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares.
Makes: 16 bars Total Time: 45 minutes[box title=”About the Chef” box_color=”#dc2326″]
Chef’s Name: Lisa Dearen
Family Members: Hubby, one kiddo and two Labs
Community of Residence: Aviara, Carlsbad
Hobbies/ Interests: Cooking, photography, reading, stand-up paddle boarding and traveling
Favorite Local Activity: Spending the afternoon at South Ponto Beach with friends and family, boogie boarding, body surfing and picnicking
About the Recipe: When I first went gluten-free, this family recipe was the treat I missed the most. After tinkering and tasting, I found that the original recipe works just as well with all-purpose gluten-free flour as with regular flour.
About the Chef: I’m a native Californian and moved to SoCal for college. I met my husband at UCSD and we’ve lived in San Diego ever since. Before staying home with my daughter, I worked for Booz Allen and Toshiba as a computer programmer. Now I’m a freelance editor/writer, and the voice and photographer behind Whisk & Cleaver, a food blog about gluten-free California cuisine and the California lifestyle. I love to cook, eat and travel, and write about all three.
Visit Lisa’s Food blog at www.whiskandcleaver.com.[/box]