Nellie’s Spanish Rice
- 2 cups rice, rinsed
- ½ onion, quartered
- 4 small cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 4 cups water
- Pour olive oil in deep pan. Sauté rice and onions until light brown.
- Add cloves of garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, tomato sauce, water, cumin, and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- When cooked, fluff with fork or spoon to serve.
Makes: 4 to 6 servings | Total Time: Approximately 25 minutes
About the Chef
Chef: Nellie Cardenas
Family: I have four children – three daughters and one son. All of my daughters are married. My son and I live in Carlsbad and we love it!
Hobbies and Interests: Cooking and crossword puzzles
Favorite Local Activity: Riding beach cruisers to the beach, working out
About the Recipe: The recipe is my mother’s and it is one that she loved to make for us. She was a great cook! Spanish rice is the perfect side dish to any Mexican-style entree or by itself as a delicious comfort food. The browning of the rice helps to bring out the nutty flavor of the rice.
About the Chef: I’m 60 years old and have worked in the dental field as a registered dental assistant for many years. I love living in Carlsbad and spend a lot of time with my family and friends.