Sara’s Blue Ribbon Apple Pie
- 1 cup flour
- 1¼ cup sugar, divided
- ¾ stick of butter
- 5-7 apples
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pillsbury pre-made pie crust dough
- Dice the butter into small cubes into a bowl with the flour and ¾ cup of sugar and then smash and stir with a fork until it is crumbly. Place in refrigerator or freezer until ready to top the pie.
- Peel and slice 5 to 7 apples. Use a variety of apples, but make sure to use two granny smiths for the tart flavor.
- Mix ½ cup sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and pour over sliced apples and stir them.
- Lay the pie dough (I like to use Pillsbury pre-made pie crust dough) out into your pie dish and then place the apples in it evenly.
- Top apples with crumb crust and sprinkle a small amount of cinnamon on top. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F or until golden brown and bubbly.
Makes: 1 pie | Time: 45 minutes cook time
About the Chef
Chef: Sara Osterink
Family: Three children, Emma (11), Katie (11), and Johnny (7)
Hobbies and Interests: Photography, hiking, and running
Favorite Local Activity: Hiking with my dog and kids, going to Ponto Beach
About the Recipe: This pie is named Blue Ribbon Apple Pie because I have making it since I was nine years old. I picked my own apples as a child and made it every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I entered it into the local Curry County Fair in Gold Beach, OR when I was 10 years old and shocked the experienced bakers when I took the blue ribbon. I have continued to make this every year for my family and friends.
About the Chef: I have lived locally for 18 years and in Carlsbad since 2002. I work in marketing and sales for Arts Attack Publications.